Friday, September 18, 2009

Urinating in the open

Nobody in his right mind would call the work I do as a 'White Collared Job'. There frankly is no great rocket science involved in my decision making or some amazing strategy applied on the ground to get things moving. Not once have I relied on Maslow or Porter, au contraire my best teachers have been the pan masala chewing animals I deal with every day. The only knowledge one needs to have to be successful at what I do is call your business counterpart's mother a whore at the right time. The right time usually comes twice a sentence.

There is a certain comfort you know in dealing with a set of people where manners, nicety, sophistication, chivalry, courtesy etc just do not exist in dictionary. At the end of last month, me and my minions sat in the middle of a 30*30 meter park right in the middle of a peaceful residential area; and sipped our choice of poisons. My TSI promptly took out his fireman, and nourished the plants again in the middle of the park. There is a certain sense of liberation when nobody expects you to say 'excuse me' if you bump into anyone or wash your hands before you eat. My friends keep complaining about their jobs not being exciting or challenging or whatever. There are aspects where I am not too thrilled with what I do, but the job rocks. It somehow satisfies all the animalistic urges in me.

There is a magical place in this profession called 'Sadar Bazaar' the purgatory of all the residents sins. A seemingly bottomless dumping ground, the 'Ganga' of sales. I am all set to experience the holy dips taken by the piligrims there. There is bound to be some rush given the end of the quarter.

My stretch in the capital has been extended by another 3 months. I will have to drop the blue collar, and get into an air conditioned office for the next three months in an attempt to design a carrot for the pan masala chewing rabbits in the shops. I am quite sure now that I will find it difficult to sit in a chair all day long, and speak to everyone in a civilised manner. I am just starting to obsess about sales as much as I once did to sets of code on the computer.

There has been a long pending request by a certain 'Beepy' who wanted me to write an entire post on the topic of her choice. The point is some thoughts are not for the public domain. Its not an insurance policy, its just a matter of choice.

No comments:

Post a Comment